|An aerial view of the Tower of London as seen from the SwissRe Tower. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Tourist Attractions in London
The attractions of London are some of the most exciting and interesting in the world. From top museums which cover a range of topics to some fascinating historic buildings and monuments, there is something to please every visitor. Some of the famous tourist attractions of London have been described below:
● Tower of London- The tower of London was built on the Thames by William, the conquerer to protect London and assert his power. It is one of the world's most famous fortresses and has seen service as royal palace, prison, armoury and even a zoo. Sited strategically at a bend in the River Thames, the tower has been a crucial demarcation point between the power of the developing city of London and the power of the monarchy. Constructed over 900 years ago, the tower is still home to her majesty's Crown Jewels, on display for visitors to see.
● Royal Mews- Royal Mews is one of the finest stables anywhere in the world and is home to royal collection of historic coaches and carriages. It is an important branch of the Lord Chamberlain's office and provides road transport for the Queen and members of the royal family by both horse- drawn carriage and motor car.
● Tower Bridge- Stretching over the River Thames since 1984, the famous Tower Bridge of London is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world. The Tower Bridge with its twin drawbridges or bascules, each weighing 1,000 tons has been raised more than half a million times since it was built. It takes only 90 seconds for the bascules to be raised with electronic motors which replaced the old steam engines.
● Buckingham Palace- The original building was constructed as a country house in 1705 by the duke of Buckingham, John Sheffield. The palace was expanded in 1850 with a new east wing. The wing added a large number of rooms to the palace. A part of this palace is still used by the royal family. The palace has about 600 rooms, including a throne room, a ballroom, picture gallery and even a swimming pool.
● Convent Garden- Convent Garden is one of London's biggest tourist magnets. The area around the glass- covered building is always crowded with people especially during weekends. It is known for its many cafes, restaurants, pubs, market stalls and shops. Famous are the many street performers who entertain the visitors on the pedestrianized piazza.
Some other tourist attractions are- Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park, Houses of Parliament, The British Museum, National Gallery etc.
Article Source: http://www.articlesbase.com/destinations-articles/tourist-attractions-in-london-6523630.html
About the Author
Abhishek recommends all travellers to use Trainline Coupons to visit any of the above mentioned tourist attractions. So visit Cheap Train Tickets.com now.